Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Growing out a pixie cut

GASP.
A pixie cut?!?








Yes, it's true. Almost two years ago I decided to donate my mermaid-status locks and get a pixie. I grew to like it a lot- it was low maintenance, cute, and surprisingly versatile. But growing out super short hair is not a walk in the park. It's more like a walk up a really steep hill that annoys you and makes you want to give up. Struggles aside, it's not impossible to do and you can still look cute while doing it!

Here are my tips to growing out a pixie cut!

1. Getting regular trims.
I can't stress this one enough. Yes, I know- it seems counter intuitive. BUT, if you do not get regular trims- maybe once every two to three months- you WILL get a mullet. Even if all you get trimmed is the back (which is what I did most of the time) it will make a huuuuge difference in how confident you feel with your short hair do.

2. Try out different styling products.
Go out to the drugstore and try some texturizing creams or waxes. This can be especially helpful if you have fine hair to add some pizazz to your spunky do. Or if you're like me and have naturally curly hair, let it curl for once! It's a nice change.

3. Hair accessories!
Short hair is adorable, so play it up! Get some cute bobby pins, flower clips, headbands, you get the drift. Try pinning your bangs back, if they're long enough. It's all about experimentation.

4. Lastly, and most importantly, love every stage of your hair.
What I mean by this is is basically always appreciate what you have and rock it. If your hair is super short, enjoy its low maintenance. If it's somewhere in the middle between a pixie and a bob, enjoy it's versatility. Try pinning the sides back, or curling it with a conical 1 inch curling wand, and get something like this:



Cute right? Excuse the face- this was a picture from my senior homecoming. 

Anyway, I hope this post was helpful for anyone in the process of growing out their hair again. It may feel like forever, but it'll go by in a flash! Enjoy your short hair!

-rachel j


2 comments :

  1. I always wanted to try pixie, but i have thin hair :| You have such a lovely blog.. Would love to stay in touch with you!
    Lets follow each other?? Follow me & I'll follow you right back..! ^__^

    https://the-glamorous-diva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could still pull it off! Everyone should try short hair once :)
      Thank you so much! I'd love to follow you xx

      Delete